10/20/17

feature: Fog machines, Keith Sweat, and pizza with Public Life's David Eisenstadt



When it comes to hosting dance parties in Asheville, you need not look any further than the guys over at Public Life. From rooftops to basements, Public Life has all areas covered and shows no sign of slowing down anytime soon. We got a chance to speak with one of the founders of the organization David Eisenstadt (aka DJ Databoy) about it all. Catch the interview after the jump!

So first off, tell us about who you are and what you do.
My name is David, I'm a 23-year-old DJ and party organizer. I help run an organization called Public Life that promotes dance parties around the Asheville area.

How did Public Life get started?
Honestly, I'm not even 100% sure of the timeline. My friend Nate approached me about it one day, and said that some people were thinking about organizing dance parties mostly playing house music under the name Public Life. We booked a show at The Mothlight, and did some monthly shows and fundraisers there for a while, they were super fun and we had a great turnout for them. I remember on Halloween of last year, we had one and brought the fog machines out. That atmosphere made it feel like some kind of underground dance club... which is exactly what Asheville needs.



How is Asheville responding to what you're doing?
I've gotten to work with various bars and venues in the area, and they've all been easy to work with and are always super into what's being played. I like to think Asheville is really supportive of what we're doing.

What challenges have you dealt with when it comes to hosting these sets, or is it all just pure fun?
People think organizing parties and DJing is really easy and fun, which is only sorta true. It's easy and fun to people on the outside because they don't see the time, effort, and funds put into doing these parties... as far as organizing, I've had venues and DJs bail on me last minute, equipment broken, bar owners changing their mind about our contract pay, drink specials run out, etc. It can get stressful in the moment, but it works itself out pretty quickly and I'm lucky enough to be around people who do what they can to help out.

What's been the coolest moment for you since you've started Public Life?
There's a few different moments that have really stood out since I've been with Public Life. One was at The Mothlight fogging out the venue and watching people get hyphy to techno. Another was at The Dirty South a couple weeks back, and having the bouncer tell me that we'd been at capacity for 2 hours straight. I'd say that mostly, there's this point where a song drops and everyone is vibing at the same level. It's a blessing to get to watch that from behind the booth. That's the best feeling I get during any event that we put on.

Will we ever see a Public Life x Boiler Room collaboration?
In the not-so-distant future... I think yes.


How do you choose the perfect music for a particular set?
Some DJs I know spend a day or two picking out which songs go perfect together and planning their sets out. I totally respect it because I used to do that. Now I just kinda wing it. It's more work but I like that when I'm mixing. I think you can DJ enough to where you get a sixth sense as to what songs mesh well together and which ones don't.

What's on your personal playlist rotation right now?
Depends on the genre. As far as techno and techhouse, I've been listening to Jus Deelax, Mark Knight, Prok & Fitch, and 2000andone. As far as rap, I've been listening to Kodak Black, Lil Pump, Ski Mask, and Famous Dex. I also really like 2000s R&B greats like Silk and Keith Sweat, and I've been bumping Harvey Sutherland's earlier stuff recently.



Okay, but now for the most important question: best place here in AVL for food?
Honestly this one is tricky because I kinda go to the same places a lot. If we're talking a place I'm going weekly, probably The Vault. Going there with friends for Saturday or Sunday late lunch/drinks makes me smile. But I also love Bouchon, The WALK, and Manicomio. Seriously check out Manicomio if you like pizza. It's good.

Anything else you'd like to add?
I love hearing ideas from people, I love listening to people who want to collaborate, I love listening to your mixes. If you want to get involved, please hit us up on either Facebook or Instagram and I'll get back to you ASAP.


Public Life is on Facebook and Instagram (@publiclifers)