11/2/17

feature: Eighties architecture, nostalgic feelings, and being weird with Chris Gareffa



The past connects us with the present, and for artist and graphic designer Chris Gareffa it serves as the perfect realm to explore abstract creativity. From simplistic illustrations that make you feel feels to mind bending collages featuring vintage and modern imagery, Gareffa knows the vibe he wants to achieve and then portrays it perfectly. Dig deeper into his mind and read our interview after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do! 
My name is Chris Gareffa and I am an aspiring artist and graphic designer from the lovely state of NJ. 

How would you describe your art style?

Surreal collages and illustrations inspired by the likes of 80s architecture/design books, cult films, food ads, and space. Sometimes with weird results, but being weird is okay.



What's your creative process usually like when making a piece?
For my collages I typically like to work with 2-3 photos, sometimes a little more depending on what I'm working with and how I feel everything would mesh. I'll start by finding photos I like either from the internet or books I have. My style used to derive from 50s-60s advertisements, but as time went along I gradually started using more modern, 80s/90s photos from various ads or design books. I may sit on images for ages before I do anything with them. I have a folder just filled with reference scans or photos on my computer that I go into when starting up my art. So I may come across something later on that I feel may work well and then the juices start flowing from there. I tend to use a lot of the same color palettes (usually lighter, cooler colors). I mainly work in digital formats, so photoshop or illustrator are my tools of the trade. However, I've been wanting to experiment more with scanning/copying to get some irregular or unpredictable results. I think the benefit of working with scans also is that I don't need to cut up my books or anything. I will admit that I love the idea of something physical and wouldn't rule it out for anything I do in the future.

What are some of your biggest influences?
I am super into Swiss Punk Typography and California New Wave, so I think some of that rubs off on my style. Someone told me I have a very dada-inspired style also, so I can agree with that. As mentioned earlier, I tend to focus on certain subjects and refer a lot to old design books, film stills, advertisements, old NASA photos. So I would say I am also heavily inspired by some sort of nostalgic feeling have when looking at these photos. I think my art has a dream-like quality and some of my art is inspired by things I see in dreams. A lot of times I have missing faces in my art and I think that also goes hand-in-hand with the dream quality too.  I'd love to hear more interpretations from others though. I think it's interesting to see how other people view my art.


You do collage and illustration, at the end of the day do you prefer one over the other?
Collages have always been my strong point because I don't feel I'm a great drawer. However, you don't get better at something without practicing and that's how I am approaching my illustrations. The more I do it, the more comfortable I feel. My illustrations tend to be simplistic, but I think it lends itself to my style and people seem to dig it, so that is cool.

What's some advice you have for other artists?
Don't over think and have fun with what you're doing.



When you're not making art, what do you like to spend your time doing?
I'm a huge music nerd, so I'd probably be listening to music or at gigs. I also enjoy riding my bike and taking photos (a lot of my film stuff is on my website for anyone curious).

What music have you been listening to lately?
Super into the new Horrors record, V. I got that one in my rotation for a while now. The new Protomartyr record is also fantastic. I highly suggest both of those albums right now. Other stuff I been digging is the new Omni, John Maus, and Alvvays records.


Where's the best place to get food by you?
NYC, one of the best food hubs in the US. You can find basically everything there. 

Anything else you'd like to add?
Thanks for letting me be a part of this! Artists supporting artists is what it's all about.


Follow Chris Gareffa on Instagram (@grillwave)