12/15/17

feature: Leading a movement, doughnuts, and being a DJ with Honey


Starting a lifestyle brand that is just as much about fashion as it is social justice is no easy task, yet local garment curator, activist, and doughnut enthusiast Honey has done just that. We recently got the opportunity to speak with her about her brand, where she wants to be in the future, and a whole bunch more. Read everything after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do.
Hi! I am Honey! I try to live my life as the role model I needed as a young child. I enjoy long walks on the beach and thinking of solutions to social injustice in our country & the world.

Talk to us about Different Wrld.
Different Wrld is a lifestyle brand, focused on re-working and curating collections of lightly used or vintage apparel and accessories. Different Wrld also hosts events with the intention of encouraging inclusive community spaces, creator collaboration and personal empowerment.

Where do you want to see Different Wrld in 5 years?
Well I hope that I will be traveling the country (world) hosting pop-up events that allow people to step into what goes on in my head. I think it’s really important to show people that Different Wrld is much more than a clothing brand, it’s a movement; moving together and bringing all of our differences and similarities as a whole to create the future.



What do you think sets fashion apart from other art forms?

Everyone wears clothes so I think what makes fashion special is that every day is a new opportunity to recreate you.

Who are some of your biggest inspirations?
First and foremost, Grace Jones because I mean it’s Grace Jones. Also I would say Sophia Amoruso, the founder of Girlboss and Marina Abramovic.

If you could design an outfit for any person, living or dead, who would it be and what would it be?
Prince! I don’t have a concrete idea but I can imagine an overcoat with mirrored shoulders and lots of chains.


In addition to doing Different Wrld stuff, you're also a DJ! Can you tell us more about that?

I started playing this summer just as a new creative outlet to help me deal with some heavy emotions I was going though at the time but then I fell a love. I am actually playing The Mothlight at the Hex benefit supporting The Steady Collective this Saturday.

What have you been listening to lately?
I have Cautious Clay - Cold War on repeat and Soulection Radio is always on.



Favorite spot in Asheville to chill?

I have no chill.

Anything else you'd like to add?
Keep an eye out for Different Wrld rebrand coming this Winter 2018.  A sneak peek drop of long sleeves will be available for preorder come the new year, so excited to share with everyone.

Follow Honey and Different Wrld on Instagram (@ohhnohoney / @differentwrld) / Main photo by @saybrea / Different Wrld photos by @ohmakeda