12/1/17

feature: Making things better, ice cream dates, and going up with William Hinson






























How does one compose the perfect pop song? That's a question we probably should've asked 21-year-old singer-songwriter and all around charming guy William Hinson in our interview with him. He'd definitely know the answer to that question thanks to the
 plethora of catchy, heartfelt, fun, sad, and powerful pop songs he's composed throughout the years. We thankfully did remember to ask him other questions though. Read our full interview after the jump!


Tell us about who you are and what you do.
My name is William Hinson. I am a 21-year-old singer-songwriter and producer from Winston-Salem, NC. I make pop music. 


When and why did you start playing music? 

I grew up around music, as my entire family is very musical. My uncle was a songwriter in Nashville for a long time and always encouraged me to pick up the guitar. He invested in instruments for me at a young age. I started playing guitar and taking it seriously(?) in the 3rd grade. It wasn't until the 6th grade that I started writing songs. Music has just always been my "thing." I've gone through a bunch of different "I could do this or this..." situations but everything always circles back to music. So in high school I just decided that's what I'm supposed to do. I ended up coming to UNCA to study music production. 

What's it like being a musician here in Asheville? 

I get this question a lot. Being a musician in Asheville is inspiring, definitely. There's so much going on, there's always so many people to play with and learn from. As a student at UNCA, I can tell you that I have had the incredible opportunity to play with some of the best musicians I've ever met. But everyone in Asheville is welcoming for the most part. Lots of exchanging of ideas.



Talk to me about Elevator Music and what that all means to you?

Elevator Music is this concept all around ambition. You can really go three directions in an elevator. You can go up, you can go down, and you can get stuck somewhere in the middle (and have to establish a pee corner and call the fire department, etc.). I think at this point in my life, there's always been three directions for me to go. I can succeed and go up, I can get involved in a bunch of terrible situations and go down, or I could move back home and stay the same. The third option is the most frightening. That's what Elevator Music is all about: documenting the experience of college and early adulthood and detailing my ambition and other experiences. It deals with all the stuff I've faced until this point, other people, struggles with myself, with life. I just want to go up, you know?


The differences between Elevator Music Vol. 1 and Elevator Music Vol. 2 are pretty clear both visually and aurally. Where do you think the next volume will take your aesthetic and sound?

Vol. 1 and 2 differ a lot but I feel like they fit under the Elevator Music blanket quite well. I wanted to make something continuous that made sense when listened back to back, until ultimately they are all put together into one work. I want the next volume to be able to fit under that same blanket as well. I will say: *spoilers* the next volume in the Elevator Music canon is very 60's-70's inspired, both visually and aurally.




We see a lot of you out in the spotlight and on stage, but what's it like behind the scenes when you're working on a song?

It really just depends. The old practice was just to shut myself in my room or in the studio and working myself to death before having something beautiful emerge. But nowadays the experience is shared. I have a wonderful collection of musicians that are a part of my band, and they have been instrumental (pun) in a lot of the songwriting and production for some new projects I'm working on. Two people that I work quite closely with are Nick Bump and Claire Hoke, who both help me with engineering when we go into the studio. I used to just build a solid demo by myself and then take it to them and polish it in the studio, but recently we have been crafting the demos and final cuts together. This has opened up an entirely new world for me as an artist because I have other opinions helping out in the creation of these works. It's very exciting. We laugh a lot. 


What's some advice you have for other people following their creative dreams?
Just stay true to what you like. Know the music that you love, read about it, listen intently and try to emulate it as best you can. Everything has already been made, our job is just to make it better. So take what you love and make it better. 


If you could have an ice cream date with any musician or band, living or dead, who would it be and why?
Paul McCartney. He's my idol and he's just (from the many, many things I've read about him) a really nice guy. It would be a very long ice cream date coz I would have way too many questions. The ice cream would probably melt.


What music have you been listening to lately?
I've been listening a lot to a couple things. I love the new Daniel Caesar record. And SZA. If you've never heard of this guy Andy Shauf, you have to listen to his record 
The Party; that record has changed my whole life. I've also made my way through the entire Stevie Wonder catalogue, which has been really inspiring...as well as the usual lot of Hall and Oates, The Beatles (recently, I've been on a Sgt. Pepper and Revolver/Rubber Soul kick) and The 1975.



Favorite restaurant here in Asheville?

Toss up between Stoney Knob Cafe and White Duck (but it changes all the time). 


Anything else you want to add?

I want to give a shoutout to an Asheville based artist named Holden Mesk? Idk if you've ever heard of him but he's really the truth. I've heard from several unnamed sources that he has exciting work ahead for a new William Hinson record. I've reached out to his people but they declined to comment. 

Follow William Hinson on Instagram (@williamhinson) / Photos by Josh Dane