3/16/18

feature: A multitude of mediums, sassy sunglasses, and making the world a more vibrant place with Charlie Beech



Buckle up and prepare yourself to go on a wild ride through the mind of Charlie Beech, a truly creative and tall artist from here in Asheville, NC. Sculptures, paintings, you name it and he's probably put his warped psychedelic spin to it. He's like the Willy Wonka of art and we were lucky enough to get to interview him. Read everything after the jump!


Tell us about who you are and what you do.
My name is Charlie Beech and I’m a fun guy! If you want a mental image of me just picture a relaxed 6’4 golden retriever with a collection of sassy sunglasses. Seriously though, I’m a young artist who sculpts, paints, occasionally makes music, and loves a good party. I like to create within and between the second, third, and fourth dimensions. Depth, color theory, ratios, and visual weight are some of my favorite things to manipulate in paintings and sculptures.


When did you start getting into making art?
I’ve always been into keeping my hands busy with creative projects, so I can’t remember a clear starting point. As a kid that meant drawing or learning about using power tools from my dad. As a teenager I focused on playing music and learning the recording process while keeping my feet wet in visual art through photography. Now as a young 20-something I’m painting and sculpting often, mostly focusing on steel sculptures, lamp sculptures, and painting with bright colors framed by bold black outlines. There's no start or end date to my creative process but rather a long and ever-shifting journey of playing with whatever medium or technique piques my interest.

What's your favorite part about being creative?
Setting my own timelines and independent accountability. I love having the sole responsibility for the success or failure of a project. Circumstances and emotions are always changing, and milemarking those feelings through time by associating them with the art around my house and community is a cool way to keep a portfolio of my life.

What's one of your favorite pieces you've done?
The answer to this question changes all the time! Right now, my proudest piece is the Toppling Steel Cube sculpture I made a few months ago. It has the right balance of subtle math and ratios, industrial vs. polished feeling, size, and mind tricks. Ask me again in a week and I’ll tell you why a different piece is my favorite at the moment.


Who/what are some of your biggest inspirations?
Clyfford Still, Andy Davis, James Turrell, Oliver Hibert, and Dan Flavin to name a few professionals I look up to. Beach culture like surf rock, rum drinks, or the smell of sunscreen really get me going. Like flip flops and seagulls and whatnot. Really though most of my inspiration comes from interacting with creative friends and environments and talking through wacky hypothetical creative projects. I live in a very creative house among two great artists––Wyatt Manlove and Bryce Alberghini. There’s always creative gears turning somewhere in the house at any given moment which I think is a positive environment. I also get inspired by meeting new friendly people! Don’t be afraid to introduce yourself next time you see me, I don’t bite.

What's some advice you'd give to fellow artists?
Make your own ripples, don’t wait for a bigger wave to come along for you to ride. The art scene, especially here in Asheville, is a seemingly elite and impenetrable realm of professional artists at first glance. However, there is a huge amount of amateurs and young people creating ripples of the next creative uprising. Be a part of that movement. The best inspiration I’ve felt has come from creative functions that my friends organize, and almost never from an opening reception at a big name gallery. It’s our turn to host the creative functions that give fuel to the Continuum of Making upon which we are all building and contributing. Put your work out there and don’t be intimidated when it seems like everyone except for yourself is “making it” in the scene. This shit is hard and it’s okay if you’re still working towards finding your personal motivations and message. It takes a while. Don’t get embarrassed when pieces come out badly. They occasionally will. Scrap it and keep working. Most importantly have fun! It’s only life and no one is here for very long. Make the world a more vibrant place in whatever fashion moves you.



How is your personality reflected in your work?
I like to think that I have a bright presence, and so do my paintings. An initial impression of me can be energetic and bright but as you get to know me there is a lot more underlying purpose, theory, and intention behind my actions and beliefs. Positive inspirations or bad impressions from my daily life play a large part in how I conduct myself. My artwork is no different. At first impression, my work pops and has an inviting presence in a space. Upon further measurement and observation my artwork reveals a very intentional use of color, space, measurements, and inspiration from others.

Music you've been listening to lately?
My music taste is all over the place depending on the time of day. At any given moment my “recent searches” on Spotify has everything from Waylon Jennings to Future to Black Light Smoke to Guantanamo Baywatch on it.



Favorite place in Asheville to chow down?
Izzy’s Coffee Den! A large coffee with cream and a quick bagel is my ideal lunch.

Anything else you'd like to add?
Thanks for this awesome opportunity to rant about myself, and for keeping this blog going. Platforms like these are an important step in connecting cool underground creative projects to each other. And thanks to my family and friends for cheering me on this far. I wouldn’t be this passionate about creating things without constant love and support from all of my homies.

Follow Charlie Beech on Instagram (@charliebeechart)