3/9/18

feature: The organic process, mac n' cheese poppers, and exploring the surreal world of expression with Brighton Kilgore

From polaroids to collages, and even collages on polaroids, Brighton Kilgore explores and experiments with everything and anything. His eye for the uncharted realms of imagination allow him to create and compose otherworldly work. We got to interview him about his process, his photography, and much more. Read the whole thing after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do.
My name is Brighton Kilgore. I’m a mixed media collage artist and documentary photographer. I enjoy repurposing images to create unique tones, themes and stories. When I'm not cutting up and gluing down collages, I enjoy shooting photographs at concerts and events, out in nature, and on the street.

When did you start getting into making collages? 
I’ve always enjoyed collage art and have been very drawn to the surreal world of expression the medium allows. Around three years ago, I started creating my own collage art almost on a whim. I had some Polaroid film that expired. The battery for the film pack died – leaving me with a stack of blank, snow white Polaroids. I painted one of them to fill the frame, but still had a handful of these blank frames left. I grabbed a stack of magazines that was around, and proceeded to cut out a few images that seemed interesting. I glued it all down and instantly wanted to do it all over again. It's a vivid, meditative, and tangible form of art. It's a refreshing process, and I've had a blast learning and exploring what's possible with collage.



What's your favorite part about the process of collage? 
My favorite part of the collage process is the spontaneity and the unexpected! There will be certain photos, or a piece of paper that sits around my desk for weeks. It will hit the point where I'm tired of looking at it. I leave it out still, or sometimes stash it in a stack where I don't have to see it. Then suddenly, I'll find another image that belongs with it - they'll fit together perfectly, even sometimes seamlessly! This can happen over the course of a few minutes, or occasionally over a few weeks. I can be very intentional with what I glue down and how things fit together on a certain piece. Other times, there will be random images next to each other and I'll glue them down exactly how I found 'em. My process is very organic, in the sense that inspiration could appear from anywhere.

Where do you find your collage material? 
Sourcing materials is one of the best parts of collage art. There are endless possibilities! I find photographs, colors, and textures that catch my eyes. I mainly use recycled magazines or books but I'll also use some of my own photographs occasionally. I get a bunch of source materials and supplies from libraries, thrift stores, or friends and family who hook me up with their old stacks of magazines. (If you happen to have any, feel free to send 'em my way! ) Sometimes, you can find little notes on the sidewalk, or a fragment of a dollar bill, or someone's dropped shopping list. Random found objects are my favorite because they have a lot of depth. Any and everything has potential!



When you’re not doing collages you’re taking photos, what do you love about photography?
Photography has been a brilliant way for me to slow down and take in moments. Especially in regards to instant film. When you only have a certain amount of film, each exposure feels valuable. Each photograph is a moment captured and every photograph tells a story. It can be intentional, or accidental. Deliberate or undetermined. I've generally always leaned towards the documentary style of photographing. I try my best to understand the tone in a specific instant and translate it into a frame. My camera is an amazing passport. It's allowed me to travel into places and situation I normally would not have been able to experience.

What’s your favorite camera to work with and why? 
I love shooting with my Polaroid SX-70 Land Camera. Its view finder and the focus is unique and tremendous. It's such a vibrant, soulful camera. It almost feels alive when you open it to hear the shutter and the whirring of film.





Who/what are some of your biggest inspirations? 
One of my favorite artists is Curtis TALWST Santiago, his constant creative expression is refreshingly honest and sincerely exceptional. From his music to mixed media pieces, I've always enjoyed soaking in his perspective. My parents have always been huge and constant inspiration also! They are both as incredibly talented, and skilled and gifted as they are endlessly encouraging. Jean-Michel Basquiat is another artist whose collection of work and vast life experience is something I've learned from immensely. He was magnetic and so was his art. I absolutely love the style and the undisguised veraciousness of what he did.

Music you've been listening to lately?
Recently I've been jamming to a bunch of Alt-J, Flatbush Zombies, Tame Impala, The Fugees, A$AP Mob, Kaytranada, and a splash of Sango!



Favorite place in Asheville to eat?

I might have to go with Rocky's Hot Chicken Shack! To be completely honest, their mac n' cheese poppers are out of this world.

Anything else you'd like to add?
I want to thank you for the opportunity to share about what I love! And for anyone who might be interested in displaying, purchasing or even learning more about my art, I would love to hear from you. Never hesitate to reach out! Cheers!

Follow Brighton Kilgore on Instagram (@berighton)