3/23/18

feature: Starting with comics, fleeting moments of inspiration, and drawing from imagination with Ivan Daniel Bustillo

Enter the colorful and serene world of Asheville artist, animator, and designer Ivan Daniel Bustillo. He specializes in simple, yet detailed, illustrations of life and the world around us and always manages to put a smile on my face when viewing his work. We got to chat with him about how he got started, how to get out of a creative block, food, and much more. Read it all after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do.
My name is Ivan Daniel Bustillo, I’m an artist/animator/designer working in both digital and traditional mediums. I like storytelling and making work that takes people to other places or makes observations about the spaces we inhabit. When I’m not working on projects I enjoy music and animation!

When did you start getting into making art?
I always loved drawing for as long as I can remember, but when I was in elementary school I discovered a joy for making comics. A lot of the art I made throughout my adolescence were just comics that I would draw on ruled paper and share with only my friends. Those comics were really crude but I enjoyed making people laugh with them. High school was when I started taking art more seriously and actively trying to improve. That was when I began wanting to understand technique more and to learn as much as I possibly can. Since then it’s basically become a never-ending journey.

What's your favorite part about being creative?
I think my favorite part about being creative is taking those fleeting moments of inspiration and materializing them into something. That can entail a lot of things, maybe solving a problem, or making a video, or a painting, etc. I also think creativity allows us to try things, which is really important. Sometimes just trying something can produce a result you never even imagined, and it almost always eliminates one of the biggest hurdles in producing any kind of work, just getting it started.



What are some of your favorite things to draw?
I really like drawing people. There’s just such a variety of people in this world and personality can be expressed in so many different ways that it’s like an endless supply of inspiration. I also like drawing from imagination, observation, and really just anything that stands out at me or causes me to want to draw right at that moment.

Who/what are some of your biggest inspirations?
One of my favorite artists from early on and still to this day would be Hayao Miyazaki. I loved Spirited Away when I was a kid and when it comes to direction and storytelling this guy is a genius. I feel the same way about Osamu Tezuka, Akira Toriyama, Pixar, Disney Animation studios. Others include Bernini, Monet, Tyler the Creator, the list goes on and it’s really all over the place.


What helps you get out of a creative block?
When I’m faced with a creative block I have two approaches to getting out of it. One is to try just drawing, and not caring, even if I hate what I’m drawing it at least gets me started. Another approach is to just take a break, go out, look at trees or clouds or people and just sort of remember that art imitates life, and sometimes you have to spend some time away in order to find that inspiration.

How is your personality reflected in your work?
I think all art reflects the personality of the artist regardless of their intention. There’s that one saying that all painters sort of impose their features onto their subjects, I feel like part of that is true. Sometimes I think it comes through in subtle ways, perhaps just through the mood I’m in while working. Other times it can be more direct like when I’m basing something off experience.

Music you've been listening to lately?
Some of my favorites lately have been JPEGMAFIA, Bad Gyal, ISAN, Chinese Football, and DJ Screw.



Favorite place in Asheville for food?

I gotta shoutout Taqueria Munoz and of course my aunt’s restaurant, A Taste of El Salvador!

Anything else you'd like to add?
Thank you for the interview. And thank you for your work and efforts helping Asheville grow into a great artistic community!

Follow Ivan Bustillo on Instagram (@boostiiyo)