1/26/19

feature: Alter egos, finding your voice, and focusing on the process instead of the outcome with Ashley Dreyfus

Meet Ashley Dreyfus, a cartoonist and mixed media artist who lives in Boise, ID who expresses herself through brightly colored fun and squiggly illustrations. We got to chat with her about her alter egos, her favorite piece she's made, inspiring younger artists, and much more. Read the full interview after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do.
My name is Ashley Dreyfus. I am a cartoonist and mixed media artist working both in traditional and digital mediums. I draw characters that I call “Alter Egos.” My characters represent my view of everyday life with its struggles and whimsical moments of fun. I am currently immersed in a 365 drawing a day project, where I challenge myself to draw once a day for a whole year. I record my daily drawings through my Instagram page.

When did you start getting into making art?
I have always been passionate about drawing and creating art. I really started my cartooning process at the age of 11 when I completed a series of sharpie cartoons and had an art opening in Ketchum, Idaho where I lived at the time. This past year has been has been really productive for me, as I have found my true style and voice, and have been fortunate enough to get to work on several big projects.

What's your favorite part about being creative?
I love the sense of freedom that I feel when I am drawing and painting. My real focus is to capture a sense of happiness and whimsy in the way I draw my characters and how they interact with their surroundings.

What's one of your favorite pieces you've done?
I painted a 10ft mural in August 2018 for Boise’s Freak Alley Gallery titled "Stop to Smell the Flowers." My intention was to reach out to viewers to unplug from technology and reconnect with the natural world around them.



Who/what are some of your biggest inspirations?
I am heavily inspired the Pop Art movement. One of my favorite artists is Keith Haring. I love his characters and minimalist style. His drive to create art publicly and push himself out to the to the limits of his creativity really set an example for me. I hope to emulate and pay homage to the energy that he created. My other major influence is Andy Warhol. In addition to his graphic art, he created a whole new era of style and design that I can really feel and interpret. Warhol’s innovations in art, music, fashion, and advertisement have reached out to me directly in my own life and work.

What's some advice you'd give to fellow artists?
My best advice to other artists and creators is to consistently work towards a creative goal each day. I believe there is no right and wrong in art, there is only passion and commitment. I hope to inspire younger artists to start projects that may seem challenging, or even impossible, since I think it’s the process not the outcome that is so satisfying to me.


How is your personality reflected in your work?
I see myself as being a very positive and optimistic person, and I feel my art represents this with its color and playful themes. I want the viewer to stop for a minute and enjoy my Alter Egos just existing without worry or responsibility.

Music you've been listening to lately?
Music is a big part of my life and art. My music taste is very broad, but some favorites as of lately have been Goth Babe, MGMT, The Garden, Cigarettes After Sex, and Tame Impala.



Favorite place in Boise to chow down?

Push and Pour is my favorite coffee shop to grab a great latte and pastry!

Anything else you'd like to add?
Thank you so much for the opportunity to share my voice and creative process! I just want to reach out as much as possible to younger artists and creators with support and encouragement. The creative process can be hard and long, but it is always worth the effort to risk putting yourself out there no matter what. “Art should be something that liberates your soul, provokes the imagination and encourages people to go further” - Keith Haring.

Follow Ashley Dreyfus on Instagram (@dreyfus.art)