1/12/19

feature: Repurposing photographs, playing with contrast, and tortellini with Sabbath Zwiercan


Sabbath Zwiercan is a photographer and collage artist in Boone, NC who captures the simplicity and depth of the world all at the same time. We got a chance to speak with him about how he got into making art, what keeps him going, and much more. Read through the whole interview after the jump!


Tell us about who you are and what you do?
My name is Sabbath Zwiercan and I am a digital photographer and mixed media collage artist. Though I am originally from the Asheville area, I currently live in Boone where I study commercial photography at Appalachian State. A lot of my photography is really narrative and color driven fashion or still life, and my collages can vary depending on the inspiration or mood behind them.

When did you start getting into making art?

Ever since I can remember I’ve always enjoyed the act of making something. When I was a kid I used to draw comics and trading cards with my friends at school. Once I got a little older I was really into playing guitar and writing music which will still always be a big part of my life. I think the moment I got my first camera was really when it all clicked for me. Ever since then I’ve been developing my style and sense of who I am as artist more each day. I love creating my own sets and finding a way to incorporate collage and fine art work into my commercial studies. I also enjoy being able to repurpose old photographs, or my own, and other media to create new images that couldn’t exist any other way.



What's your favorite part about being creative?
I love the act of expressing yourself no matter what the medium is and I like how art allows you to do this. It can give you a voice, a place to process your emotions, or just  the ability to create something that you enjoy. Photography and collage both allow you to create your own world and that’s something I find myself being more and more drawn to with each new piece. I think it hold a lot of power and allows you to escape, heal, and speak in ways that not many things can fully replicate.

What's one of your favorite pieces you've done?
I usually find myself answering that question differently every time I make something new and it’s really great to find myself in a place where I’m starting to feel that way. I think one piece that’s really stuck with me is the Sportstar collage I made towards the end of last year. I’ve always been really interested in contrast, I frequently use bright colors or flowers to cover up a darker meaning. Constantly making art with a deeper meaning can end up weighing down on me at times. I think the reason I really enjoy Sportstar was because it was fun to create something I just found beautiful with no hidden agenda.  



Who/what are some of your biggest inspirations?
My main inspirations are Josh Brizuela, James Turrell, Valheria Rocha, Robyn Redish, and Phib Bonacci. Signe Pierce has probably had one of the biggest influences on my style, her photographs have always been so powerful to me and probably helped shape a lot of the work I make today.  I think music has always been a huge inspiration for my work, often times my work stems from my interpretations of lyrics. My girlfriend Harrison is also a really big inspiration for me. She helps me create and work through a lot of my ideas while giving an endless amount of love and support along the way, I don’t know where I’d be without her.

What's some advice you'd give to fellow artists?
Someone told me awhile back not to take everything so seriously and to stop comparing myself to others and that was easily the best advice I’ve been given. I’d say it’s important to create stuff for you, do what you love and what makes you happy, and just have fun with it. I think it’s really easy to get discouraged by a lot of things in life, but if you make work that you’re proud of and excited about I really think others will start to be to and everything will begin to fall into place when it should be. While trying to gain my footing as an artist this advice has really helped me, I truly don’t think I’d be anywhere without these words. 



How is your personality reflected in your work?

A lot of my work is very bright and light hearted at first glance which I think resonates well with who I am. I’ve always been really shy and reserved though for as long as I can remember which is kind of funny considering most of my work is full of bright imagery and color. My work is able to speak a lot louder than I’ve ever been able to. Music you've been listening to lately? On any given day it’s a safe bet that you can catch me listening to (Sandy) Alex G, Diiv, or Hovvdy. But recently I’ve been listening to a lot of Joji, Snail Mail, and I catch myself listening to Kevin Krauters “Toss Up” daily.


Favorite place in Asheville to chow down?
Definitely Strada Italiano, the tortellini alla vodka there is probably the best thing I’ve ever eaten.
Anything else you'd like to add? Just a big thank you for giving me the opportunity to share a little more about myself and to you and everyone else who’s ever given me any support along the way, I really don’t know where I’d be without all the love and kindness I’ve been shown from so many of you. I think one of the most important things people can do is support one another and platforms like this can have such a big impact on the community so keep up the great work.


Follow Sabbath Zwiercan on Instagram (@lowqualityjpg)