2/10/19

feature: Inherent sadness, being easy on yourself, and letting the fire inside you burn bright with Larkin


Dreamy, honest folk songs are at the core of what makes Larkin and her music so remarkable. We got a chance to speak with her about when she started making music, her favorite song she's written, who inspires her, and much more. Read the full interview after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do.
I'm Larkin and I'm a musician.

When did you start making music?
I started making music when I was 14, writing a few fourteen-year-old songs here and there. I was trying to figure out my style but all that could come out was typically a cheesy poem or a barely there love song. It's all still on my Tumblr I'm guessing.

What's your favorite part about being a musician?
I like being able to express private thoughts or feelings in my songs. Sometimes it's vague but sometimes it's in your face - either way, it's fucking exhilarating.



What's one of your favorite songs you've written?
I wrote "How You Doin'" for a friend, or former friend I guess. They were a really important part of my life at one point but it felt like they wanted more than just a  friendship from me. I was young and although I definitely fantasized about being in a relationship with someone, I was way too scared to actually pursue anything with anybody in realistic terms. But I miss him, nonetheless, and it seemed like we were never in the right mind set (it goes both ways) for either of us to be content with our friendship. Anyway, I wrote that song as a nod to him and how I genuinely hope he's happy at this very moment in his life.



Who/what are some of your biggest inspirations?

I've gotta give it up for Ingrid Michaelson first and foremost because she was the first musician I ever heard and thought to myself, "That's what I want to sound like." Listening to her music for the first time as a teenager was very much an "aha" moment for me. Some other ol' reliables are Joni Mitchell, Regina Spektor, John Prine, Bob Dylan, etc. I'm all about lyrics and these songwriters really know how to string a sentence together. And to cap it all off, Gary Dodgen (my dad), is a big inspiration to me. He's a fellow musician and I grew up watching him perform at gigs every weekend. We've both got this fire that burns inside of us to get out there and achieve our dreams - I feel like mine is starting to burn a little brighter as I get older and my dad's burns the brightest of all.



What's some advice you'd give to fellow artists?
Be easy on yourself!!! Let your work organically come to fruition and don't get so hung up on being "seen" or "heard" by the general public. Put yourself out there but make sure it's quality and make sure you're doing it because YOU love it and not because you have or want a large following or whatever. I would also say that there is absolutely no age limit on when/how you achieve your career goals. I should take my own advice honestly.

How is your personality reflected in your work?
I'm a pretty insecure/anxious person and I think there's an inherent sadness that comes through my lyrics. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy in other aspects of my life too but sometimes the sad parts are the easiest to manifest into lyrics. I'll also add that I write love songs because I've got a wonderful husband who more often than not is my total muse.

Music you've been listening to lately?
Mitski, Molly Burch, Natalie Prass, Ella Mai, Ariana Grande, Kacey Musgraves, John Mayer, Stella Donnelly, Faye Webster, Anderson .Paak, Dawes



Favorite place in Asheville to chow down?

WALK because their food is great, drinks are great, there's a jukebox and I can literally walk two minutes to get there from my home.

Anything else you'd like to add?
I love animals. If I lost my voice, I'd work at a vet or a shelter hands down. Donate to a local shelter and always stop and try to help if you see a stray dog!

Follow Larkin on Instagram (@larkinmusic)