2/2/19

feature: Showcasing emotions through art, being multi-faceted, and giving good gifts with Harry Malesovas

Psychedelic, melting mind-bending illustrations are what Asheville based artist Harry Malesovas does best. We spoke with him about his beginnings stenciling t-shirts, his biggest inspirations, advice he'd give to fellow artists, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Read the whole interview after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do. 
My name is Harry Malesovas and I am pursuing a Bachelor of Fine Arts at UNCA. I also create apparel and art under the pseudonym C.H.U.M.

When did you start getting into making art? 
I have always had a passion for art. I think it is because both my parents are also artists. My father spent some time in the movie industry after going to film school at NYU and my mother has painted on the side for as long as I can remember; so, one can imagine I grew up doing some crafts. However, I don’t think it was until high school that I really started perusing the arts. At the time I was inspired by Shepard Fairey and Banksy and the whole idea of street art. I started making stencils with a hope in my mind that I could become some famous graffiti artist. Yet, living in Summerfield, N.C. there were very few blank walls I could go tag that weren’t attached to one of my neighbors’ houses. So, rather than spray on a wall, I started applying my stencils to T-shirts. I think after making the very first one I was hooked. That event pretty much led me down the path to where I am today.



What's your favorite part about being creative? 
The best part about being creative is the ease I have giving gifts. Like, what am I going to give mom for Christmas? Then I make a cookie jar or something and she loves it because it’s handmade! Like sure it might take a while to make something special for someone, but I think its less stressful cause more than likely they’ll just enjoy that it’s so personal.

What's one of your favorite pieces you've done? 
My favorite piece I have done is “With My Barriers Broken.” I created the work to highlight my personal experience with sexual assault and how it has affected me in my life. It was really cool to work on because it was one of the most intentional works I have created. I work a lot in my specific style in which many faces make a larger portrait, yet this was one of the first portraits I made where all the emotions the faces portray really add to the overall message I’m trying to convey. The piece itself is somber, but overall, I was really happy to complete and present this work of art. It was beneficial for me to be able to speak out about something I had experienced without fear. I think it would be hard for me to go out and just speak to others about a really difficult moment in my life. I think this is due to the fact that men are kind of viewed as weenies if they try to speak out about trauma. But creating a piece of artwork about my experiences felt really powerful. I had found an outlet where I could let people see my truest emotions for one of the first times.



Who/what are some of your biggest inspirations? 
I have had a few steady inspirations throughout my art career, Salvador Dali, Francisco Goya, as well as Chinese communist propaganda art, however my largest inspiration has been my uncle, Jay Mercado. He and I have never been very close, due to the fact that we live far apart, yet I have always admired him. I think seeing him succeed as an artist has always shown me that I too can succeed. He also has greatly influenced some of the areas I focus on in my art, for example I love to draw detailed hands. I like focusing on the lines that trail all around them. Yet it wasn’t until recently that my father pointed out the similarity between the hands my uncle and I each draw. I guess it is obvious that an artist takes influence from other artist whose works they enjoy. I think he has influenced me more than I could imagine, and far more than he could imagine. I would like to tell him one day about how much he has inspired me.

What's some advice you'd give to fellow artists? 
Some advice I would give is to not lose sight of why you got into art. For me, I got into art to help portray emotion that I can’t voice with my words. Yet I constantly get caught up thinking about how I’m not successful enough as an artist. I get worried that I am not selling enough work, that I don’t have enough followers on Instagram, that I haven’t done enough shows, but none of that really matters. I mean, yes I would like to be able to make a living off art and I should continue trying to market my self as an artist, but I don’t ever want to start only making art for other people. If I start making art I hate just to sell work I think it would make me miserable.



How is your personality reflected in your work? 
I think one of the messages I go for in my art work is that people, when observed from a distance, can seem fairly standard or one note. Yet when you get to know them more, once you truly have dissected them, you get to kinda see what they’re like when their guard is down. People at first will get an interesting opinion of me sometimes, but I like getting to know them and letting them see what I’m like as an individual. Everyone is multi-faceted. We all have little voices in our head rationalizing how we interact with each other, like my work. My faces are built off a bunch of smaller faces to show how complex a person can be under the surface.

Music you've been listening to lately? 
I have been on a real rap kick the last few years. Lately I’ve been listening to a few of my favorite albums of 2018. FM by Vince Staples, DiCaprio 2 by J.I.D., Blue Slime by Cuz Lightyear and lastly I Hate My Life And I Really Wish People Would Stop Telling Me Not To by $ilkMoney



Favorite place in Asheville to chow down? 

I love Asheville Pizza and Brewing if I’m getting the Sheer Delight pizza. I go to Taco Temple if I want to get some fish tacos. If I’m feeling a bit hungover one morning Tastee Diner is a must! Lastly if its Tuesday I love to hit up Gan Shan Station west for the great ramen deal!

Anything else you'd like to add? 
Follow me on Instagram @chum_art as well as my uncle, @jaymercadostudios!