3/16/19

feature: Finding your own unique style, nostalgic reflections, and chasing what matters most with Joe Flores

Pizza, the grim reaper, Guy Fieri––oh my! These are just some of the things that Chicago, IL based graphic designer Joe Flores likes to draw. We got to speak to him about his creative process, favorite pizzeria, who inspires him, and a whole bunch more. Read the full interview after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do.
Hey! My name’s Joe Flores and I’m a graphic designer hailing from Chicago, Illinois. I work a corporate gig by day and freelance at night and weekends. I’ve been fortunate to have worked with awesome people like Tough Times Press, The Chinatown Market, Urban Outfitters, Andrew W.K. and many more.



When did you start getting into making art?
I actively got into making art during my Junior/Senior year of High School around 2008-2009. I was acting out and being a huge shit head at the time and getting into all sorts of trouble, so art was my outlet to let out the frustrations I might’ve had as a misunderstood 17-year-old. I really liked to recreate skateboard graphics like the Santa Cruz Sun God design by Jim Phillips and dissect how it was done.

What's your favorite part about being creative?
Pablo has a cool quote that I can relate with. “Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.” Being able to create really helps me relieve the stress or bullshit even if it’s for a little bit.

What's one of your favorite pieces you've done?
One of my favorite pieces I’ve done was “The Creation of Za” which was a spoof on “The Creation of Adam” made famous by Michelangelo, in which God and Adam are sharing a slice of Pizza instead. What makes this piece so special to me, was that it gave me a big break. My buddy Mason was able to make it happen over at UO and as a result, I got to be part of their Artist Editions Initiative that showcased a collection of works by myself on different garments, pins and patches and distributed across UOs all over the US. It was a trip seeing my name in stores and even crazier to get interviewed and published on their platform. I’m forever grateful for the experience and think my Mom is still in UOs asking if they know who I am lol.

Who/what are some of your biggest inspirations?
I wouldn’t be where I am if it weren’t for my parents. They always motivated me to become the best version of myself and encouraged my brother and I to chase what matters most. Whether It was begging my Mom to drive my friends and I to the skatepark or binge-watching Beavis and Butthead with my Dad; there was no shortage of creative times and it helped influence my voice as a creative and inspiration down the line. My wife has been one of my biggest supporters and source for inspiration. She’s always there for me when I’m down and out and picks me up on those days. I feel this anxiety or imposter syndrome from time to time, so it’s been a blessing to have her here to motivate me and help me get out of my head and bounce back from a slump.

What's some advice you'd give to fellow artists?
It’s easy to keep up with the trends but it limits your voice as an artist and you just blend in with the pack, so I always encourage those to create constantly in search of a unique style that makes it their own. It shouldn’t matter whether a couple folks like it or gains a mass following. As long as you’re having fun doing it, that’s what matters most.



How is your personality reflected in your work?
The subject matter I often reference is a reflection of the nostalgia I related with growing up. It can range from Andrew W.K. surfing on a slice of Pizza or Guy Fieri’s face melting to an 8-ball panther. I pull from past experiences that I related with at the time and put my spin on it all the while maintaining bold lines and subtle grit.

Music you've been listening to lately?
It’s all over the place but lately I’ve been bumping Sunflower Bean, Anna Burch, Kane Strang and then some Power Trip or Oh Sees. I have an obsession with playlists to the point where I’ve gotten the office to help me make A-Sides and B-Sides for mixtapes at any occasion haha.




Favorite place in Chicago to chow down?

If I’m going to chow down, I’m going to Coalfire for some za! They’re a pizzeria located in West Town that makes some bomb Neapolitan-Style pizzas. The sights and smells there are just phenomenal and it’s a guaranteed good time. I’m always ordering the Pepperoni and Whipped Ricotta pie and not sharing! Throw in a couple Lonestar brews and I’m a happy camper.

Anything else you'd like to add?
In an age where everything we do can be done so through our finger tips, it’s a trip to link up with awesome creatives through platforms like Instagram and meet rad people. Appreciate the questions and had a blast answering them! J

Follow Joe Flores on Instagram (@joeflomontana)