3/23/19

feature: Not being a stranger, drawing silly fun things, and how to best navigate the freelance life with Holly St Clair



If you were to go to a coffee shop in South London there's a good chance you'd see illustrator Holly St Clair doodling and working on their next cool project. With a robust list of clients and a never-ending slew of lovable illustrations, she's definitely an artist you need to know about. We got to interview them about a lot of things and you can read it all right after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do.
My name is Holly St Clair and I’m an illustrator! I graduated from Camberwell College of Arts in 2017, worked in a few places then moved to full time freelance last year. I live in South London and work in any coffee shop with decent WiFi.

When did you start getting into making art?
My Mum and Dad told me that when I was a little baby I loved drawing, picture books, any thing visual. It was always there from the start. As I got older though I really didn’t think it would ever be a viable career. I went to a very academic school - it was like a factory for doctors, lawyers, and journalists. I considered becoming a writer and set myself up to do that with the subjects I chose, but honestly, I didn’t have the passion or talent. The fact that my English coursework was always covered in doodles should have been a clue! My parents convinced me to take up art again, I think they could tell I wasn’t happy with the direction my education was taking. I applied for an Art Foundation course at Camberwell and the rest is history!

What's your favorite part about being creative?
My job is genuinely fun! Don’t get me wrong, the admin, dealing with clients, and constant financial anxiety is the opposite of fun, but my actual job is the best. I get to draw silly and fun things and people pay me for it!

What's one of your favorite pieces you've done?
My sun necklaces have been really popular - it took me by surprise, but I’m really proud of how well they’ve done. Making merchandise is where I get to be a bit more indulgent, I’ve got some pins coming that I’m really excited about.



Who/what are some of your biggest inspirations?
I’m really inspired by heta-uma, it’s a style of Japanese manga that’s ‘bad but good’. It was a reaction to mainstream comic styles and satirises the increasing Western influence in Japan during the 70s and 80s. There’s an East-meets-West feel to it that, as a half-Asian person, I vibe with.

What's some advice you'd give to fellow artists?
The advice I always give to people wanting to become commercial artists or illustrators is ‘Don’t be a stranger.’ You need to put yourself out there. You won’t get commissioned if nobody knows who you are! Having an online portfolio and some kind of social media presence is really essential these days. I know a lot of people aren’t comfortable with it or find social media leads to unhealthy feelings, so I’m cautious about putting too much emphasis on it. I’d say don’t be afraid to curate what’s out there. You’re in control, post as much or as little as you like - just make sure people can find you when they search your name!



How is your personality reflected in your work?
I’m very straight forward, and I think that comes across in my style. I’m also quite an anxious person, I’ve had my struggles with OCD, so that kind of self-doubt and catastrophising appears as a regular theme. As well as the general ridiculousness of the illness.

Music you've been listening to lately?
I’m really into Ama Lou at the moment. I was lucky enough to be invited to a tiny performance of hers at the Clarke’s store in Soho. (I may or may not have bought blue wallabies because of her.) She was amazing, such a gorgeous voice and presence. Can’t wait to see what she comes out with next!



Best place to get food in London?
Pret A Manger. Just kidding - everybody should go to KOI Ramen Bar in Pop Brixton. Best ramen south of the river!

Anything else you'd like to add?
Fuck Brexit.

Follow Holly on Instagram (@hollidaystclair)