4/20/19

feature: Creating moments, telling stories, and vibing out with Alex Heisey


Controlling the vibe of a space through music and making connections through that artform is no easy task, but Atlanta DJ and tastemaker Alex Heisey excels at it. We got to chat with him about how he got into DJing, his coolest career moment so far, all the sick stuff he's been listening to, and a whole lot more. Read the full interview after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do
My name is Alex Heisey. I'm a DJ in Atlanta. My job is to take a crowd of strangers and turn them into best friends.

When did you get into DJing?
It first started as a love for music. When I was in elementary school, an orchestra came and played. That moment really sparked an interest in music. And my childhood fascination turned to playing the trumpet, which turned into playing the guitar, and then into music production, and beat-making. When I was a freshman in college, there was a guy in my dorm that had a pair of turntables. I showed up randomly, and asked if I could mess around with them. He put on a scratch record and a Drum & Bass beat (to those that don’t know, a scratch record is a record with a collection of samples/drum loops on it that a DJ can manipulate). In the moment, I felt like I was the little kid sitting in that auditorium again. I knew instantly that this was something special to me. It was like the culmination of everything I had done musically. The ability to manipulate any genre or style of music in a live and improvisational way felt so vast and exciting to me. I bought my first set of turntables later that year and never looked back.



What’s your favorite part about being a DJ?
I love creating moments. There's a direct relationship in playing a record and the energy or mood of a crowd. When people go crazy to a certain record I've played or a trick I've done, that's immediate gratification. It's an amazing feeling and it'll never get old for me. I also like how people come to me to get put on to different and new music. I really enjoy that element of being a selector and tastemaker.

What’s been the coolest moment for you since you started DJing?
Earlier this year, I went to a music trade show called NAMM in L.A. It’s one of the largest annual events for DJ’s and other people involved in the music industry. I met so many DJ’s and people I’ve admired my whole life. I was there with my friend Micky Slicks, and we would be like “Yo! There’s Z-Trip” and five minutes later, “There’s GrandMixer DXT!” and so on. I also met and kicked it with DJ Angelo. When I was first starting, I found a series of scratching and beat juggling tutorials on YouTube that DJ Angelo had made. I learned so many techniques and concepts through watching his free videos – information that I would have super limited access to otherwise. It was mad surreal being able to experience everything coming full circle like that. The trip made me feel like I’m really part of this culture I care so much about. Spending time there with people I admire made me realize I truly have my own legacy I can lay down as well.



Who/what are some of your biggest inspirations?
The first DJ I really got into and admired was DJ AM. For me, he was the blueprint. I used to watch people attempt AM tribute mixes, and I would try to recreate some of his famous routines in my bedroom. From there, I got into Jazzy Jeff, Z-Trip, Qbert, Craze, A-Trak, and bunch of other DJ’s who are household names within the DJ Community. A-Trak especially, is a huge inspiration. He’s a killer technical DJ, he produces, he runs a label, and he’s a great selector as well. Every time I listen to him play I learn something. There’s also a ton of current DJ’s that are killing it as well: Chris Villa, Nick Bike, Miles Medina, Trayze, Four Color Zack and Ease are some of the DJs I look up to for inspiration on the regular. I also get inspired from simply going out, listening to DJ’s, and being part of nightlife. I’ve gotten a ton of ideas from just vibing, and watching the energy in the room. It’s really easy to feel stagnant if you’re just playing your residency and seeing the same experience week after week. By watching other rooms you’ll see records pop off that would never pop at your own spot and vice versa.

What’s some advice you’d give to fellow creatives?
I’m going to speak in regards to DJing in particular, but some of these concepts can definitely be applied to other mediums. It’s super important to support the DJ’s and the community around you. If you’re not going to other people’s parties and events, don’t expect them to come to yours. There’s so much competition, whether that’s another club, event, or Netflix. By forming real relationships you’ll have a network with more a diverse skillset and a better ability to organize and accomplish at a higher level. It’s also super important to understand the current state of social media. For example, Instagram is short-form visual content. Think about how you can show your music and what you can bring to the table in that format. If you’re not a visually talented person, find a friend who is! Think about you when go through your own feed, what do you click on, and what do you ignore? Try to find those trends of what makes better and more engaging content and apply that to yourself. However, it's important to have balance with the social media. Don’t let it take over you actually working on your craft. Being dope and being a good DJ is way more important at the end of the day. There’s also the battle of making your creative art financially viable. The business side of creativity is essential. Come at your creative hustle like you were playing chess. Look at numbers. Be mindful of your strengths and weaknesses. And remember, be honest with yourself. By making a plan, and sticking to it, you’ll accomplish way more than trying to swing at the industry blind.


How is your personality reflected in what you do? 
When I was younger, I was super into reading and making up stories. When I mix records together or make a routine I like them to all relate thematically or have some connection that makes the records tell a story in a way - either through lyrics, a certain sample, or just how the track makes you feel. I'm also usually cracking jokes and messing with people, so that definitely makes its way into my DJing as well – either through song selection or a certain mix. And anyone who knows me will tell you I move and dance a ton when I play. I'm like that pretty much all the time DJing or not, haha!

Music you’ve been listening to lately?
Oh man. There’s so much. I love all kinds of music. Some of the newer Hip-Hop I’ve been listening to is: Lil Keed, Roddy Ricch, Saint Jhn, Dababy, A Boogie wit da Hoodie, Megan Thee Stallion, LightSkinKeisha, Gunna, JuiceWRLD, Flipp Dinero, and Tory Lanez. Also, Anderson .Paak and Lion Babe just came out with two amazing really soulful albums that have been on repeat for me. I’ve been listening to Toro Y Moi and The Internet a lot as well. I'm a big fan of Afrobeats. That sound is getting increasingly more global and is taking over pop music in other countries. I love Burna Boy, Tiwa Savage, Afro-B, Davido, and Wizkid to name a few. The same goes for Reggaeton. I listen to artists like J Balvin, Ozuna, and Farruko daily. Little Dragon is one of my favorite groups of all time. They have the craziest sound. There's a definite retro-aesthetic, but all the records sound mad futuristic at the same. Yukima Nagano (the singer) has an amazing voice and sounds like female Prince. I've been listening to a ton of Peggy Gou and Yaeji as well. They both have a really signature house/electronic sound. And, I'll spend hours digging on Soundcloud for different flips and remixes, shoutout: Uki, Paul Mond, FS Green, and Jarreau Vandal.



Favorite place in Atlanta to chow down?

Atlanta is such a great food city. No matter what you’re in the mood for there’s a place for what. I live in Doraville off of Buford Highway. It’s a really international area, because of a ton immigrants that settled here in the past. You can literally find a restaurant for almost any culture. I love going to Lee’s Bakery, for the Bahn Mi. That’s one of my favorite ways to spend lunch. If I’m kickin’ it with a friend, I’m probably at El Rey del Taco. If you’re on the southside you have to stop at Atlanta Fish House & Grill. For sushi, I’m a big fan of Wagaya in Midtown.

Anything else you’d like to add?
If any of you out there need any music or DJ advice, feel free to hit me up anytime. I really care about this art-form, and I want everyone to succeed. If there's any way I can help you, I'll do my best. Thanks for spending the time reading the interview! IG is the best place to learn more information or get in touch with me!

Follow Alex Heisey on Instagram (@alexheisey)