7/13/19

feature: The influence of people, overcoming your fears, and the powers of Yerba Mate with Audrey Keelin


The sweaty energy of a packed music venue, the delicate light at the end of a summer day––these are a few of the things that local photographer Audrey Keelin excels at capturing. We were lucky enough to get to speak with her about how she got into photography, her headspace during a shoot, what she's been listening to lately, and a whole lot more. Read the full thing after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do?
Hi! I’m Audrey and I guess I’m a photographer? Haha! But seriously, I love telling stories in any way possible; whether it be through photography, writing, music, or visual art, storytelling is my thing! I’m just finding what makes me not feel aimless.

How did you develop an interest in photography?
I first began my relationship with photography as a nine year-old tourist in Washington, D.C. My grandfather gifted me with a point-and-shoot camera, and after accidentally taking a picture of myself, I began my first photo project. I don’t want to attribute all of my interest in this creative outlet to one person, though. I had a lot of support with exploring photography and visual art in middle school with one of my dearest friends, Kyah Phelan, and their family. It’s amazing to think about how one or two people can completely influence the course of your life. From there, I kept shooting almost daily, and coincidentally, most of my good friends growing up became models, so in the time of my life where I was most interested in fashion and editorial photography, most of my friends were eager to contribute to a shoot in any way possible.



What's your headspace like when doing a shoot?
Completely under the influence of Yerba Mate. Honestly I attribute all of my creative endeavors and all of my best pieces to this beautiful elixir. Just kidding -- a little. Anyway, I try to be as unapologetic as possible. Being unafraid with my creativity is really important to me. I definitely have my environment to thank for that. Asheville is such a great place for people, especially young people, like myself, to get immersed in any type of art and really, truly be unapologetic with it. I try to remind myself that fear will get me nowhere.

What's one of the biggest challenges you've faced in your photography career so far?
Ooo, that’s a good one. Definitely going on tour. I first went on tour as a photographer in March of 2019, with Asheville punk band Tongues of Fire. During this time, as a senior in my last semester of high school, I missed a lot of school and did a lot of work in the back of Lowell Hobbs’ Honda Odyssey, but it was worth it. I shot exclusively on film for Melted Magazine, met many amazing people, danced every day, and overcame a lot of fears. It was difficult to tour with the pressure of “am I good enough?” or similar questions like “am I too young to be doing this?” but after returning, I realized how important it was for me to be a part of a little family like TOF for a bit.



What's one of your most memorable photography experiences?
Being sore after a shoot/event. When I was sixteen, I shot Father John Misty at the Diana Wortham Theatre. I met a really cool dude from South Carolina who saved my ass and gave me a ticket (because apparently I need a ticket in addition to a pre-approved venue press pass?), shot a lot of photos during the first three songs, and squat-ran a whole lot. This is definitely something that only photographers understand. I made sure to squat during shooting because I didn’t want to obstruct any view, and I was also running around from one side of the stage to the other, so I ended up being quite sore afterwards. This happens a lot at big shows or seated shows, but it’s definitely mentally and physically memorable, for sure.

If you could photograph any person, living or dead, who would it be and why?
Wow! The first person who comes to mind is Bob Gruen. He is an iconic music photographer who shot a whole lot of photos of John Lennon (like the “New York City” photoshoot atop a roof in NY. Fun fact, that NYC shirt actually belonged to Bob Gruen). He just seems really interesting, contributed to a cultural landmark, and is not as appreciated as I think he should be. I would love to talk with him/ pick his brain!! Also, I’d love to shoot Angel Olsen. I’ve been trying to cultivate a relationship with her, honestly, because we live in the same town and have mutual friends. . . just waiting for the right time.



When it comes to music, what have you been listening to lately?
As always, I’ve been listening to a lot of local music. I just reviewed MJ Lenderman’s new album as well as Tom Angst new -- and final -- release for Melted Magazine, so I’ve been listening to those a lot. I’ve also been really enjoying Acid Carousel, whom I stayed with in Denton while on tour with TOF. I love Lomelda, as well, and have been listening to her. I’ve actually been writing my own music alongside a great pal of mine, as well, which will be coming out soon, but I’ve been really influenced by Florist, Blue Ranger, Sam Skinner, Merce Lemon, and Lala Lala.



Favorite place to get food in Asheville?

I love burritos and I don’t eat out often, but when I do, I go to Neo Burrito. It’s just so practical to get a whole lot of nutrients at once. I mean, whoever first thought of the magic that is a burrito was just a genius. I am so thankful for that person.



Anything else you want to add? 
I also always ask the question “anything else you want to add?” when interviewing people and never understand why they don’t add anything else, but now that I’m in the interviewee position, I get it. Hmm. . . I love Cool Sounds! Also, buy my zines.

Follow Audrey Keelin on Instagram (@youandtheblossom)