4/17/20

feature: Not getting bogged down, surrounding yourself with people you love, and the wonders of brainstorming with Matt Winship


Asheville creator Matt Winship makes a lot of rad stuff under the name Big Encounters. We got to chat with him about how he got into making art, what he enjoys most about being creative, his favorite food spots, and a bunch more. Read the full interview after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do.
My name is Matt Winship. I’m an illustrator, graphic designer, and musician living in Asheville, NC.

When did you start getting into making art?
I drew a lot as a kid, but I think when I started getting into playing music is when the drive for art really grew. I remember getting my first drum kit when I was 10 years old. I was so stoked on the idea of releasing my own album and creating all the artwork for it too.

What do you enjoy most about being creative?
My initial reaction was to answer with something cliche, like it helps me work through my feelings. Which is definitely true, but also sorta boring. I think being able to entertain myself or brain storm ideas while I’m doing something monotonous like doing the dishes is pretty awesome.

What's one of your favorite pieces you've done?
I’m sorta like the opposite of the main character in Office Space, in the scene where he tries hypnosis. Instead of every day being literally the worst day of my life, it’s like my favorite piece is the most recent thing I’ve made. Though if I had to pick one, it’d be a piece called “Summer Hits” I did last year. Last summer sucked for me for its own reasons, so it’s nice looking back and being appreciative for what I have now.


Who/what are some of your biggest inspirations?
As far as other artists, I’m a big fan of Nightwatch Studios, Aaron Draplin, Jim H Madison, and a ton more. I get a lot of inspiration in day to day life too. Vintage branding, 90s action movies, film photography, and music.

What's some advice you'd give to fellow artists?
I think I’d just give the advice that works for me. Just create. Don’t get too bogged down in genre or style. Just make stuff every day and see where it takes you.



How is your personality reflected in your work?
I’m very interested in trying new things and learning new artistic processes, which I think comes out in my work. At times, I’m focused on illustration and other times I’m really into photography and collage. Often times, they all find themselves in the same piece.

Music you've been listening to lately?
I’ve been listening to a lot of (Sandy) Alex G, Tony Molina, LCD Soundsystem, Beulah, and Angel Olsen lately. Pedro the Lion, Sumac, Pile, and Tera Melos are usually in heavy rotation too.



Favorite food spot in Asheville?
I’d go with Zia Taqueria or the Bun Intended Food Truck. I’m going to send this interview to both as a sort of an old skate “sponsor me” tape. I love you guys.

Anything else you'd like to add?
Life is strange and short, so I’d like to encourage anyone reading this to spend your time doing the things that make you happy and prioritize surrounding yourself with the people you love.

Follow Matt Winship on Instagram (@bigencounters)