4/24/20

feature: Wearing whatever you want, sifting through clothes, and turning a hobby into a business with Lauren Bulla



We've all had that feeling of finding a rad piece of clothing at a thrift store, and Lauren Bulla turned that feeling into a business. We interviewed the Asheville trend-setter about how she started Looks by LB, what she enjoys most about running her shop, her favorite thrift finds, and a whole lot more. Read the full thing after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do.
My name is Lauren Bulla - I am a bartender/server in downtown Asheville, NC! I graduated from UNCA in May 2019 and have been expanding my business (Looks By LB) a saving money in preparation for my next move which is law school.


When did you hatch the idea of starting Looks By LB? 
The first post I ever made on Looks by LB was in May of 2018. What started as a community page where my intent was to share my own and my friends' individual styles through pictures and descriptions, turned into a business venture where most of my activity takes place through various pop ups around downtown Asheville, as well as the occasional Instagram story sale. My dear friend Luci who runs Nature's Cure Apothecary (her own small herbalism business) was the first person to really bring out the fullness of my creative capacity through pop ups and help boost my confidence about my hobby becoming an actual business.

What do you enjoy most about running your shop? 
I think the most enjoyable part about running Looks by LB is that the pieces I would normally have to leave behind, make their way home with me in hopes of becoming part of somebody else's wardrobe. I also love learning about different styles from the people who support me and seeing the ways in which they put their own spin on the new pieces they take home from my shop. I also love the fact that I can mold my shop theme around the feel of stepping into your BFFs closet and sifting through their clothes in hopes of finding something REALLY good to wear. I try to create a dreamy - bedroom type feel to my pop ups with pale pink tones and curtains to make it feel inviting and low pressure. Curating a theme is also a very exciting part of running my pop up shop.


What’s one of your best finds to date?
I have two best finds to date. My #1 is an Italian leather backpack that I found at a garage sale my Sophomore year of high school (for 6$!!!) - I have used it every year of school since then and even took it as my carry-on bag on my trip to NYC with me this past year. My #2 best find is a dark green leather crossbody Dooney and Bourke bag I found at my fav local thrift store, Second Chances thrift (for 4$!!!).

If you could go thrifting with any person (living or dead) for the day, who would it be? 
If I could go thrifting with any person for a day it would be my favorite fashion YouTuber, Best Dressed. I discovered her about a year and a half ago and fell absolutely in love with her video editing style as well as her personal fashion sense, she seems like such a badass, genuinely kind person and it would be a dream to thrift with her.

Music you've been listening to lately? 
Fav artists I've been listening to, BROCKHAMPTON, Charli XCX, Chaos Chaos, King Princess, and Litany. Fav podcast rn - My Favorite Murder.



Favorite food spot in Asheville?
My favorite food spot in Asheville is Over Easy by far, I'm also obsessed with Cucina 24.

Anything else you'd like to add?
I wish I could have told myself earlier in life that everything is fleeting but that's the beauty of now, wear whatever T F you want if it makes you happy and to live by a Best Dressed quote, "If at least 10 people don't think your outfit is absolutely horrendous then you aren't taking enough risk".

Follow Lauren Bulla on Instagram (@looksbylb)