5/15/20

feature: Bringing magic into people's days, finding plants with a story, and growing with Palm + Pine



When it comes to houseplants, Meghan and Lindsay of Palm + Pine here in Asheville have made a name for themselves as the go-to greenery experts. They just opened their brick and mortar space earlier this year and have a lot of exciting things in the works. We got to speak to Meghan about how the business started, her personal favorite plants, and a whole bunch more. Read it all after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do.
My name is Meghan, I run Palm + Pine alongside my business partner, Lindsay Riley. Palm + Pine is a neighborhood plant shop and studio located in West Asheville, NC. We offer a variety of select plants and tools to replicate the elemental factors of outdoors spaces, inside. Our goal is to give folks the opportunity to create indoors green spaces that bring a little magic into their day to day. We do custom indoor plant installations for businesses, residences, and special events.



When did y'all hatch the idea of starting Palm + Pine?
Palm + Pine began as a store concept in December of 2018. I (Meghan) have been working with indoor plants in some capacity for about 3 years. I initially built a personal brand using Instagram as a primary platform. I mostly sold plant cuttings online and taught a few plant care classes. Lindsay and I met a little over two years ago while working in retail together - we worked really well together and quickly recognized that our skill sets were very complementary. We decided to go into business together and enrolled in the foundations business class through Mtn. Biz Works in January of 2019. We initially operated as a pop-up shop and hosted events around town from May - October 2019. We really lucked out with our commercial space on Westwood place in West Asheville - we signed a lease in October of 2019 and moved in January 1st of this year.

How would y'all describe the vibe of the shop?
We designed the space to feel really open, bright and airy, despite it honestly being a very small space. It is positive, serene, and grounded - we've put a lot of thought into the energetics of it all. Our most common compliments are that it "feels good" or "smells nice in here"... thats on purpose ! Everything we do with this space is intentional, and is a direct reflection of who we are as individuals and what kind of energy we want to create and represent. Palm + Pine is a house plant store, yea, but it's really more of a concept shop that will be ever-evolving and changing. We have big plans for this space - fingers crossed we'll be able to actually implement some of them come summer!



Do you have a personal favorite plant you sell?
Some of my forever favorites are angel wing begonias, monstera deliciosa + monstera adansonii, pothos, and rhaphidophora tetrasperama. More so than specific species, I get really attached to plants that have a story, plants that reach a certain degree of maturity and really have a strong presence. I'm always more intrigued and curious about plants that have weird growth patterns and palpable energetics. We direct-source every plant that we carry in the shop, which is an added step of labor that honestly isn't very efficient, but allows me to hand-select each plant individually ... I'm picky. I don't always like to carry plants just because they're trendy or I know they will sell quickly. I won't choose plants if they don't really feel right, thats just my own personal ethos.

In another life, if you weren’t running one of the coolest lil shops in town, what do you think you’d be doing?
I'd be living in the desert. I've lived in Asheville for 12 years but I always have tiny dreams of relocating to New Mexico or Arizona. That landscape really fills me up - maybe Palm + Pine desert edition is in our future :)



What’s one of the biggest things you’ve learned since opening Palm + Pine?
Oh wow, so much. I've learned how to not be such a "yes" person. It's really easy to want to say yes to everything, especially being a new business. I think one of my greatest lessons has been in discernment and learning how to trust that I know what the best decisions for the business truly are. I'm able to recognize much more quickly when I'm making choices to appeal to others rather than doing what is best for myself or the shop. I also have definitely found it challenging to shake some deep-seeded imposter syndrome and have had to really dig deep to remind myself that I do know what I'm doing, that I know what I'm talking about, that I'm good at my job, that I'm capable of being successful. I know its so common amongst creatives and entrepreneurs, but man it is such a mind-fuck sometimes.

If you could have any person (living or dead) come help out at the shop for the day who would it be?
Javier Senosiain ... he's one of my favorite architects. He creates the weirdest + coolest organic structures - definitely an inspiration.

Music you've been listening to lately?
I've gone down way too many disappointing Spotify rabbit holes lately but some bands on repeat for me right now are: Pinky, Pinky ; Oh, Rose ; Ian Sweet ;  Lala Lala



Favorite food spot in Asheville?
Oh! A lot. I love plant, heiwa, simple, sunflower diner, gan shan west, wild ginger, and honestly anywhere that has solid veg options.

Anything else you'd like to add?
Not that I can think of ! Thanks so much for including p+p :)

Follow Palm + Pine on Instagram (@palmandpineavl) | www.palmandpineavl.com | all photos by Taylor Tkach