5/8/20

feature: Bringing people joy, finding your crowd, and the monotony of everyday life with Michael Riesch



Asheville artist Michael Riesch harnesses the wonders of risograph under the name Cardboard Couch. We interviewed him about what drives him to create, how his personality is reflected in his work, where to get the best doughnut in town, and a whole lot more. Read the full thing after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do.
I am an Illustrator and Risograph printer currently living in Asheville. I graduated from UNCA in 2013 with my BFA in Fine Art and am currently an independent artist and co-owner of Good Enough Press. My work centers around drawings and collages that use a humorist approach to take on mental illness and the monotony of everyday life.


When did you start getting into making art?
I’ve been making art since I can remember. Some of my earliest memories are of drawing Ninja Turtles and Birdman on the living room floor. It’s always been a part of my life. However, I started taking it seriously as a career in late 2018 by creating Cardboard Couch. Then when I discovered the Risograph machine a few months later, I was all in.

What do you enjoy most about being creative?
It’s meditative and a way to connect with other individuals. When someone says that my work has positively affected their life, it’s one of the greatest feelings.

What's one of your favorite pieces you've done?
One of my favorite pieces I’ve created is “okay” – it’s a photo of one of my dogs, Roly Poly, with the words “Everything is going to be okay.” below it. I feel like it’s simple but effective and it seems to bring a lot of people joy, which brings me joy.


Who/what are some of your biggest inspirations?
My wife, my peers, being bipolar, and Andy Warhol. All of which influence my work on a daily basis. My wife pushes me to be a better artist every day and supports me through the thick and thin. Plus, her work is phenomenal. My peers inspire me through their actions, their work and their drive. Being bipolar and coping with the daily struggles is what my work often centers around. Andy Warhol pushed what was considered art – he took newspaper clippings of car accidents, screen printed them, and made a series out of it. Without him, what I do may not exist.

What's some advice you'd give to fellow artists?
Keep going. There is a lot of let down and failure in the art field, but there’s a crowd for everyone and if you keep going, you’ll eventually find your people.


How is your personality reflected in your work?
My work often centers around my personality and personal beliefs. Being bipolar, I cope with the ups and downs by creating artwork that expresses how I feel. I try to put myself out there in hopes of connecting and letting others know they’re not alone.

Music you've been listening to lately?
I’ve been listening to a lot of Dinosaur Jr., Litany, and Taylor Deupree lately. A little alternative rock, a little synth pop, and some ambient tunes.



Favorite food spot in Asheville?
Anything breakfast. There are so many amazing breakfast places in Asheville. I love a good doughnut though and I would say we have two of the best I’ve ever eaten at – Hole and Vortex.

Anything else you'd like to add?
Thank you so much for the interview and I hope everyone takes care!

Follow Michael Riesch on Instagram (@cardboardcouch)