5/29/20

feature: Community connections, herbal remedies, and not comparing yourself to others with Nature's Cure Apothecary


Enter the wild and wonderful world of herbal healing with Nature's Cure Apothecary, a growing business here in Asheville run by Luci Orofino. From CBD products to tinctures and tea blends, Orofino knows her stuff when it comes to natural healing methods. We interviewed her about how the business came to be, her favorite products, and more. Read it all after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do. 
My name is Luci Orofino, I am the owner and operator of Nature’s Cure Apothecary. I studied herbs at the Appalachia School of Holistic Herbalism back in 2017. I started this business about 2.5 years ago in a pursuit to create affordable and sustainable herbal remedies. I make essential oil blends, tinctures, tea blends, cbd products, lotions, etc. I also teach classes about holistic remedies, my main mission is to inform others about natural healing methods.

When did you hatch the idea of starting Nature’s Cure Apothecary?
I was living in south Florida working as a medical assistant at a nutritionist office when I realized I wanted to go to school to study holistic medicine. I visited a friend in Asheville for the first time and quickly realized this place is the land of all things herbal. I decided to up and move here to study herbalism. I started my business while I was in school and was mainly just selling to friends and family. After school I started reaching out to businesses and getting my products into stores / started hosting pop up markets all around town. 


What do you enjoy most about running your business? 
This business really was sort of just a passion project that turned into so much more. I seriously feel blessed to do what I do and I am just really grateful to have found something that I feel so passionate about. Meeting new people at the markets and all of the connections / community running this shop has brought me is probably one of my favorite things about running this business. 

Do you have a personal favorite product?
CBD herbal smokies all day everyday. The CBD is from a local farm and all of the herbs I use in the joints are also sourced locally. The perfect product to unwind with at the end of a long day for sure. 


What’s one of the biggest things you’ve learned since starting out?
I feel like I’m still learning and growing constantly as this business expands. One of the biggest lessons I think I’ve learned through all of this though is not to compare myself to others. That might sound cliche but I feel like it’s one of those things that’s easier said than done. I remember one year I was vending at the Asheville Herb Festival, it was my first year vending this market which is one of the biggest herb festivals in the country. My booth was placed next to some other super experienced herbalists and I was just critiquing my products from the minute I got there on the first day after seeing other people’s products. I remember texting my friends / mom and being like I LOOK LIKE A FOOL!! Day three of the festival rolls around and I had almost sold out of everything I brought with me and had the owner of a local shop purchase a wholesale order for their store. You’re always going to be your biggest critic and just because someone has been doing something longer than you doesn’t mean you’re not special or talented in your own way!

Music you’ve been listening to lately?
Drake, Ariana Grande, Young Thug, Unknown Mortal Orchestra, Kacey Musgraves anddd Migos. 
Favorite food spot in Asheville? 
PLANT. 

Anything else you’d like to add?
Start the business, sis. 

Follow Luci Orofini on Instagram (@naturescureapothecary)