9/18/20

feature: Working hard, opening a retail space, and perpetuating the millennial perspective with Jefferson Ellison






















If you haven't heard of JAWBREAKING yet then you're missing out. We got to interview owner and chief creative at JAWBREAKING Industries, Jefferson Ellison, about how he came to own the company, deets on the brick-and-mortar that just opened up, his favorite food in Asheville, and a whole lot more. Full interview after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do.
I am the owner and chief creative at JAWBREAKING Industries, which makes a cliche millennial multi-hyphenate. I'm a publicist, writer, and editor.

Tell us about JAWBREAKING and how you ended up owning it.
We perpetuate the millennial perspective through content, creative services, and product. So we're a marketing agency representing brands across the Southeast, a content destination (JAWBREAKING.xyz) and we have a clothing brand. We launched in 2008 as a clothing label. The original owner was a client and when she decided to sell the company in 2016, I decided to buy it. I thought it'd be an investment but it's become more of a lifestyle choice.


You just opened up a brick-and-mortar store in downtown Asheville, tell us all about it!
Yes we did. It was so not in the plans but a really cute space became available on a street really close to my heart and so how could I say no? Even though JAWBREAKING has been selling clothes for over a decade and we've been carried in Urban Outfitters, Pac Sun, etc. we've never had our own retail space so it's really exciting. It's a contemporary streetwear boutique - for men and women - and it's a mix of our own products and other brands that we love. Visit us! 19 Eagle Street.

How would you describe the vibe of the shop?
Like a Stefan skit from SNL.


In another life, if you weren’t running JAWBREAKING, what do you think you’d be doing?
I'd probably be a lawyer. My dad is a lawyer and I argue as a hobby.

What’s one of the biggest things you’ve learned since embarking on your entrepreneurial journey?
The secret to success is hard work. 

If you could have any person (living or dead) come help out at the shop for the day who would it be? 
Diana Vreeland.

Music you've been listening to lately? 
When I'm at the store, it's a lot of Beyonce and Ariana Grande. When I'm at home it's Megan The Stallion and Aretha Franklin.


Favorite food spot in Asheville? 
I'm biased because they are clients, but I eat at Bomba, Salsa's and Modesto respectively at least once a week.

Anything else you'd like to add? 
you make me smile. :)

Follow JAWBREAKING on Instagram (@jawbreakingusa)