10/23/20

feature: Inventing your own world, finding new ways to navigate problems, and going down the rabbit hole with Wyatt Grant

There's a delicate balance of simplicity and intricacy in the work of Asheville, NC artist Wyatt Grant. With an array of awesome projects and cool pieces under his belt, Wyatt's art is not to be missed. We got to speak to him about his work, what inspires him, music he's been digging lately, and more. Read the full interview after the jump!


Tell us about who you are and what you do.
My name is Wyatt Grant, I’m an artist and musician. I do all kinds of art and design: paintings, prints, t-shirt graphics, logos, posters, stickers, you name it. I also play in a band called Pool Holograph.
 
When did you start getting into making art?
I think I got really interested when I started making little comic books in 2nd grade. My mom let me use a walk-in closet as a studio, which made me feel like a “real artist”! I gradually got more into painting, sculpture, and making music when I got into middle school. I loved having a lot to “work on” from an early age because it felt like I was inventing my own world. 
 

What do you enjoy most about being creative?
I like that it’s my job to find new ways to navigate problems...and sometimes to create “problems” for people to navigate. On a personal level, the creative process is kind of like a meditation practice. You have to work with all the external noise, inner dialogues, physical labor, and channel all of that into creating something new. 
 
What's one of your favorite pieces you've done?
Earlier this year, I got to direct my first music video for Twin Peaks (the band). It was for their song “Unfamiliar Sun”, which has a lot to do with personal change/ adaptation. I did a bunch of alcohol ink paintings on transparencies and projected them on the band, working with the lyrics as inspiration. Super fun.
 

Who/what are some of your biggest inspirations?
It’s hard to single out a short list because I am kind of an art book collector and love finding influence in all kinds of places. -Art-wise, I tend to look at a wide variety of painters and illustrators.. Tal R, Jacob Lawrence, Henry Darger, Jing Wei, Hedof, and Merimekko’s many wonderful pattern artists. 
 
-Coming from Chicago, I’m lucky to have been heavily influenced by friends Cody Hudson, Leslie Baum, Cody Tumblin, Drew Ryan, Dan Devening and many more. 
 
-I’m very much into Black Mountain College and the unique voices that came out of that unique time and place.
 
-Last but definitely not least, I’m very influenced by our surroundings here in Asheville. Hiking and Camping are now honorary facets of my art practice :)
 
What's some advice you'd give to fellow artists?
Allow yourself to “step back” every now and then and check on yourself and your surroundings. It helps you keep perspective in what you’re working on, but more importantly, it’s good for your mental and emotional health to regularly re-center.
 

How is your personality reflected in your work?
I enjoy complexities as a person, but also how minimal gestures can carry a lot of vitality. In conversation, I tend to keep things light, but can easily go down the rabbit hole with a friend if they want to talk about heavy spiritual stuff. My work teeters between those two realms I think. 
 
Music you've been listening to lately?
In the morning, I have been digging some new age/ ambient stuff from Laraaji and Don Slepian. When I work I listen to a lot of Grateful Dead, recently live stuff from 76-77. Some of my favorite newer bands are Cindy Lee, White Fence, Cate Le Bon, Angel Olsen, Deerhunter, etc. 

 
Favorite food spot in Asheville?
I really like Blue Dream curry. 
 
Anything else you'd like to add?
My band just came out with an album “Love Touched Time and Time Began to Sweat” that you can check out here: https://music.apple.com/us/album/love-touched-time-and-time-began-to-sweat/1524895286

Follow Wyatt on Instagram (@wygrant)