12/11/20

feature: Experimental environments, natural shapes, and being metal but also soft with Pollen

There's nothing like a stunning arrangement of flowers. Which is why Asheville floral and botanical designer Allyson Seifert has set out to provide beautiful arrangements to the masses through her new business Pollen. We got to interview her about how Pollen came to be, her favorite flower, and a whole bunch more. Read the full interview after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do.
My name is Allyson and I am a floral and botanical designer! I started working with flowers and plants while living in New York a few years ago and fell in love with natural shapes and textures. I love using flowers for self-expression and experimenting with spray paints and other mediums to create a sort of fantasy dreamy reality.

When did you hatch the idea of starting Pollen?
Pollen came up from all of these small dreams, ideas and projects I've had throughout my 20's while also a sort of inspiration project. Before working with plants I worked with a team of these really crazy and also brilliant artists developing experimental environments. It involved a lot of hot glue, glitter, feathers, and disco balls but we did everything from night club build-outs to sexy hotel rooms and it really opened up my eyes to a whole new field of creative work. After that, I started working a part-time job at a plant shop in Brooklyn and began learning floral design. I always wanted to find a way to combine all of the experiences I've had into one project and I guess that's where Pollen came from. Pollen is inspired by friends, art, growing pains, and just wanting to make something that can be fun for everyone.


How would you describe the vibe of your brand?
Ooo, when I was developing the idea of Pollen I really wanted the brand to be a feeling, I didn't want it to be attached to "me" or a "team" or anything in that traditional business sense. Personally, I'm definitely inspired by the nostalgic feeling attached to 90's grunge and 00's pop culture ie flip phones and Smashing Pumpkins. If I could hope for a vibe of Pollen, I would want it to be kind of like glam meets shoegaze. It's Robyn but it's also Mazzy. It's muted and soft but it's also bright and bouncy. Somebody recently said to me the other day that Pollen branding feels "metal but also soft" and I think thats kind of exactly what I strive for. 

Do you have a personal favorite flower?
My favorite flowers are always and forever roses. I know that's pretty boring considering how many really interesting flowers are out there but roses always steal my heart. Everything about them is so ethereal and perfect from their thorny stems to their soft twirly petals. <3


In another life, if you weren’t making beautiful bouquets for people, what do you think you’d be doing?
Hmm.. maybe I think I would like to be a middle school art teacher. Middle school art class was always my favorite.

What’s one of the biggest things you’ve learned since starting Pollen?
I am continuously always learning, every day I learn something new and it's usually always from doing something the very very hard/wrong way. Right now, it's learning how to not piss off my partner with too much flowery things in our apartment, lol. Also, just trying to get Pollen off the ground has been and is still a river I'm trying to cross both literally and emotionally.

Music you've been listening to lately? 
I'm a big metal head and an all time forever lover of shoegaze, anyting from Cocteau Twins to Deftones and all that's in between. Lately, when I'm creating flower arrangements I've been listening to a lot more of pop dance music like Channel Tres and Toro y Moi. 


Favorite food spot in Asheville? 
I am actually a vegan! So I typically cook a lot, but when I'm not cooking and like to spoil myself I'll swing by the Trashy Vegan food truck, Simple, Nine Mile, or Gan Shan!

Anything else you'd like to add? 
Starting a business has been a completely terrifying yet wonderfully exciting chapter in my life. I'm also very new to Asheville, and while moving during a pandemic is also completely terrifying and humbling, I have been thoroughly enjoying getting to know this beautiful town. Grateful for the kindness that Asheville has shown me and excited for what's to come :)

Follow Pollen on Instagram (@pollenavl) | www.pollenavl.com