12/4/20

feature: Learning along the way, expressing yourself however you want, and honey mustard with Salad Days

We're doing another interview with Asheville artist + icon Claire Shadomy because she just launched her new business, Salad Days! Catch up with Claire in this interview and learn all about how she hatched the idea for her new biz, what her personal fav product is, and where to find the best honey mustard in town. Read the full interview after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do.
My name is Claire and I am an illustrator + graphic designer. I do lots of things haha. I work full time as an in-house designer for a local company, I do freelance design + illustration, as well as being the owner and only employee of Salad Days my newest venture. 

When did you hatch the idea of starting Salad Days?
Probably about three years ago I remember I had the idea when I had just turned 24 because I had just started to sell my work at art markets and had gotten a few wholesale accounts. I had been debating for a long time if I wanted to pursue my work under my name or create a separate business name. When I finally decided the name I wanted had been taken lol that's what I get for being so slow. So I finally decided on this name about 2 months ago and went for it without thinking too much! 




How would you describe the vibe of Salad Days?
I knew I had heard the phrase salad days before but when I looked up what it meant last year it instantly resonated with me and what my work is about. I don't usually make work that is heavy and stressful like life is, I use it as more of an escape and I hope other people can do that too and salad days feels like an escape but also a place where I'm free to express myself however I want. It can also be negative like the "good times are gone" so that's where the nihilist in me comes in haha. I wanted a name that allowed me to make products around whatever I wanted. It's sort of a yin-yang of a business name. It can mean different things to different people at different stages in their life. 

Do you have a personal favorite product? 
YES the socks I have always wanted to design socks and it was a dream come true. I can't wait to make so many more! 



In another life, if you weren’t running Salad Days, what do you think you’d be doing?
I think I'd probably be trying to be a celebrity dog groomer??

What’s one of the biggest things you’ve learned since opening Salad Days?
You don't have to have EVERYTHING figured out before launching a business. Just be organized and you will learn along the way, and things will fall into place naturally

Music you've been listening to lately? 
Larkin's new EP "Touch Me" on repeat all-day-everyday



Favorite food spot in Asheville? 
It fluctuates but rn it's probably WALK. I love a good impossible burger, and they have the best honey mustard in town. 

Anything else you'd like to add? 
Cool Sounds is the best and thank you for wanting to interview lil old me :-)

Follow Salad Days on Instagram (@shopsaladdays)shopsaladdays.com