1/1/21

feature: Superb scents, learning curves, and intergalactic space travel with House Party Candles


If you and your house, apartment, geodesic dome, cave, etc are in need of some nice new smells, look no further than Asheville's very own House Party Candles! What started out as a fun quarantine hobby quickly turned into a business for Amanda Lyda, and we got to interview her about her candle journey so far. Read the full interview after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do.
My name is Amanda Lyda and I’m the creator of House Party Candles! I make 100% soy wax candles in addition to funky, fun, ******* skrrrrrtttttt, just kidding. The rest is a secret for the ‘21 ; )

When did you hatch the idea of starting House Party Candles?
One day I woke up and was like “There’s got to be more to quarantine than Animal Crossing and day drinking”. So I started making candles just for funsies and then something just clicked and I messaged Claire Shadomy and was like, “Hey, would you be willing to illustrate some stuff for this idea I have” and it kind of just snowballed. We started brainstorming names and designs and then it just kind of happened. It was only like two more weeks and then I launched on Instagram.


How would you describe the vibe of your brand?
Currently it gives it off a subtle yet fun and chillllll vibe. I’m looking to switch some things up in 2021 and maybe change that up a little. I’m a loud and outgoing person and I feel like my brand should mimic that. Keep your eyes peeled (insert eye emoji here). 

Do you have a personal favorite scent? 
I’d say my fav favs are Pajama Party and Snow day! I really like earthy, woody, muted scents. I’ve never been big on the sticky sweet smells. 

In another life, if you weren’t making some of the best candles in the world, what do you think you’d be doing?
Maybe like..intergalactic space travel? Or maybe a professional cat whisperer.


What’s one of the biggest things you’ve learned since starting House Party Candles?
Starting and maintaining a business is H A R D. It’s rewarding and I love putting in the work but wowee. It’s a lot more to consider than I thought. But I wouldn’t change it for anything. I have a very supportive network of people and followers who are patient and understanding and that is huge to me. I feel like I can be honest when things might not go as planned and that feels really good.

Music you've been listening to lately?
A lot of times I listen to joke trash music but I’ve been gettin’ jiggy with some Orville Peck, Junglepussy, TVAM, and Megan Thee Stallion. 


Favorite food spot in Asheville?
First we brekkie at Tastee Diner. Then we’re grabbin some lunch from Gan Shan. Top it all off with some Chai Pani in the evening. I’ve never actually done that but sounds like a pretty dope day to me. 

Anything else you'd like to add? 
How ever grateful I am for the community that has supported me through all of the learning curves, bumps, and hiccups. Only being 4 months old and having the support that I do is so stellar. I am thankful for everyone following along and I can’t wait to share the things I have planned for 2021! 

Follow House Party Candles on Instagram (@housepartycandleshousepartycandles.bigcartel.com