2/5/21

feature: Doing what you love most, making anything you want, and chasing your passion with Josh Henderson



Charlotte creative Josh Henderson is a man of many different talents and an all-around super chill dude. From starting his own clothing brand to having his art up on billboards, Henderson is no stranger to following your dreams. We got to interview him about how he got started making art, what he enjoys most about being creative, his favorite food spot in Charlotte, and more. Full interview after the jump!

Tell us about who you are and what you do.
I'm an easy going guy. The simple things give me joy. On the same side of the coin I know I'm meant to do some awesome things and have anything I desire. I'm aware of my impact on the people around me. I'm a teacher, mentor, giver, illustrator, comic artist, graphic designer, animator, painter, muralist, 3d artist. I created a clothing brand called Relax. The motto is to do what you love most. Don’t settle for less, chase your passion, and make it a big deal for the world to enjoy. I create tons of illustrations with characters in unique environments. No matter the platform or medium it all translates the same.

When did you start getting into making art?
I started making art as early as I could hold a pencil. One day I drew around my peers in elementary school when Pokemon was spreading like wildfire. Everyone in class saw me draw my favorite characters just like the trading cards. That was the first sign outside of my family that affirmed me in my drawing skills. 

What do you enjoy most about being creative?
It’s a feeling like no other. It's exciting to make anything you want. Creating your own world takes you away from real life for a moment. When you're in the zone, time doesn't matter, just the feeling of pen making contact with the paper or the stylus to a pad. I like seeing the world in a different way. I like showing people how to get through artist block. Im a sponge. I soak up so many new techniques and methods to turn around and share that knowledge.

What's one of your favorite pieces you've done?
That's a tough question. It's got to be “MOB” which is now screen printed on a sweater for my 5th anniversary pop up show. It's inspired from anime like the “Dragonball” manga and anime “Lupin The Third”. To put it short my characters are in a get away van from a heist. This design made an impact on me. I spent some time years before this drawing in an art funk/phase and a terrible mental space. It was a breakthrough for me. I deviated from the style that I searched for years only to get back to square one. The lesson was, I don't need to make work to please people or make profitable art. This was the moment I realized I had everything I needed all along mentally and artistically. 




Who/what are some of your biggest inspirations?
Takashi Murakami (world renowned artist,Kanye West Graduation cover art), Samuel L Jackson (basically being a badass on and off the camera, plus he's played every type of role imaginable.), Niel deGrasse Tyson (the man can explain the origin of the universe better than Morgan Freeman, that's it.) Piccolo from the Dragonball series. (He's the coolest, smartest role model you should take with you in any fight. Calm, collected, always has a plan.) 

How is your personality reflected in your work?
I make fun of everything. Growing up, my family and friends always joked with each other. You need thick skin to hang around my folks. I love comedy so there's plenty of satire in my art. With satire comes a hint of my conscious soap box. Life is too messed up, so laugh a little and enjoy.


Music you've been listening to lately?
I'm stuck on Jaden Smith' SYRE album, MF DOOM, Earl Sweatshirt's discography, ODB, Westside Gunn, Freddie Gibbs, Rick Ross, Hiatus Kaiyote, Steve Lacey, Frank Ocean and Lord- Jahmonte Ogbon. Producers with fire instrumentals like Madlib, J Dilla, DJ Harrison, Ohbliv, FLLS, AXNT, Simon SMTHNG, Knxledge, Keifer, Shungu, Olasegun and Kaytranada to name a few. These are essentials to my routine. The music helps me get through the day or a big project that I feel incapable of completing. It's the drumming to keep morale high in the battle within my own mind.


Favorite food spot in Charlotte?
Now c'mon...I'm greedy, so this is a trick question. I love Chex Grill (Wings), Billy Jacks Shack (Sliders), Benny Penellos (Pizza), Flemings, Midwood Smokehouse, Snooze (brunch), Reigning Donuts, Two Scoops ( ice cream).

Anything else you'd like to add?
I just want my loved ones to want for nothing. One day I’ll be able to accomplish that goal.

Follow Josh Henderson on Instagram (@whatisrelax)